Reflexology is a complimentary therapy that involves the technique of applying variable pressure using the thumbs and fingers on the reflex areas found in the feet and hands. A treatment can be extremely effective in bringing about a state of deep relaxation and stimulating the body’s own healing processes. It is based on the principle that reflexes in the feet and hands correspond to each organ and structure in the body, and are linked to those organs by energy channels, zones or meridians. When illness occurs in the body, the corresponding energy channels become blocked, and Reflexology is applied to clear these blockages and eliminate toxins, allowing the energy to flow freely again, so restoring the body’s natural state of balance and therefore good health.
Benefits of Reflexology can include:
- Reducing muscular tension
- Promoting calmness and a sense of well-being
- Relieving fatigue
- Relaxing the body and mind
- Increasing energy and reduces tension
- Relieving stress
- Promoting refreshing sleep
- Soothing emotional distress
- Strengthening natural self-healing.
Reflexologists believe that certain areas of the feet correspond to other areas around the body such as organs, glands and areas such as the spine and parts of the digestive system. The foot chart below is a basic representation of these and other parts of the body that can be mapped out on the feet.
During the treatment you may experience:
- A state of relaxation or wellbeing
- Some physical sensations, such as, twitching or tingling, warmth/cold,
- a quite sharp sensation at specific points
- An emotional reaction, such as feeling tearful or elated.
After each treatment for up to 24 hours, you may experience:
- A feeling of well-being
- Awareness of feeling relaxed, rejuvenated or invigorated
- Some exacerbation of presenting symptoms
- Physical symptoms, such as mild headache
- Extreme tiredness or feeling sleepy
- Emotional reaction like tearfulness or elation.
These reactions are called “THE HEALING CRISIS” and are believed to be evidence that the body is dealing with biochemical, physical and possibly spiritual effects of the treatment.
I will always check before each treatment to ensure that there is no reason why you should not have a treatment. The following very few conditions are the only ones that rule out having a treatment:
- Possibility of having thrombosis, such as, deep vein thrombosis (e.g. after a long haul flight)
- Contagious disease, such as, measles (because of cross infection to other people).
You are not required to advise your doctor that you are having reflexology treatments. However, I may advise you to tell your doctor, or may suggest you consult your regular medical practitioner, for conventional medicine or for monitoring of long term conditions.